Sunday 8 February 2015

the guy who sells tea

Light from distant horizon brought me back from my fantasies at the crack of dawn . I gathered myself  from the ruins of my dream and went to embrace the refreshing ambience upstairs. When I  was  casually strolling on the terrace,  I saw the guy who sells  tea door to door by himself. He has a stall nearby from where he runs his tea business .  once when I was counting , He had almost two dozen cups and two kettle and 4 pots. One of my friends and I used to go to his stall every morning though I usually took milk .  During one of our casual conversation the guy told me he has a son and a daughter  who are 8 n  6 years old respectively. His son usually accompanies him in the morning , Judging by the convo I had with him he seemed bright .  Every day they start their operation at 8 serving tea to various offices n households in the immediate vicinity. One day I was surprised to know that  he sells his first tea for free as he believes he is offering it to God for bestowing good graces on him .  Moreover, the man’s ethics n his customary tight lipped smile while serving tea implicitly  reveals   how much grateful n satisfied he feels in serving  tea.  Apart from Sunday his  stall  is there  everyday, whether its scorching heat, thunder rumblings or spine chilling cold ,it doesn’t  deter him to do what he does best i.e revitalising his faithful customer’s each morning with his palatable tea . As I recall, the platform built just across the road had been a place of so many happy memories for me n my friends as we usually  sat there  holding cup in one hand n newspaper in another discussing intriguing topics. It was simply amazing  .  yesterday when I went there again , I was observing him as he was serving tea to various customers ,as he served me , I promptly asked him how much money does he makes in a  month . His laconic reply was  ‘enough’ . The spontaneity with which he said brought a smile on my face. It was a smile of respect .  A day has passed but m still thinking how much for him  would be enough…………

No comments:

Post a Comment